Surry County 250th
Surry County's 250th Anniversary Rolls on with Lecture Series
Countywide bus tours have been postponed until the spring
Following a successful August 2021 kickoff celebration and a September event to "Rediscover Rockford" in historic Rockford, Surry County's 250th Anniversary commemoration continues with a lecture series highlighting the county's history.
The lecture series, which will take place as long as Covid conditions allow, begins on Thursday, Nov. 18, with a discussion of the county's architectural heritage, hosted by the Surry County Historical Society.
The lecture series continues in 2022 (as conditions allow) with the January topic covering the area’s strong musical tradition. In February, the lecture topic is Native American history and the arrival of the Moravians, while the March topic is about natural heritage/history. The final lecture is slated for next May, when retired N.C. State professor Dr. Michael Walden focuses on the future of Surry County.
The following bus tours will take place in 2022, as conditions allow:
- Northwestern Surry County (Date TBD)
- Western Surry County & Elkin (April)
- Northern Surry County & Mount Airy (June)
- Eastern Surry & Pilot Mountain (July)
- Southern Surry (August)
Additional info about Surry County's Sestercentennial are available at https://www.facebook.com/surry250/.
- Want to learn about the founding of Surry County? Check out this article published in The Mount Airy News and written by a member of the 250th Committee: https://www.mtairynews.com/top-stories/82305/surry-countys-founding
- An interesting tidbit: At the time of its creation, Surry County encompassed a far greater swath of land, including modern-day Forsyth, Stokes, Surry, and Yadkin counties.
- To plan a trip in 2021 to Surry County, click here to request your choice of several guides, including a Visitors Guide, Surry County Wine Trail Guide, Surry Sonker Trail Guide, outdoor recreation map and an events calendar.
Lecture Series Signup
Interested in participating in the Lecture Series or Bus Tours? Fill out the the below to get on the list.